Pre-Fabricated Exhibition Stands
This successful project led to a two-year contract extension for our client.
Logistics planning and support.
A flexible logistics model that involved multiple vehicles for a time critical project in central London.
Nimlok UK is one of the largest exhibition stand contractors in the world. But, they aren’t a transport business, a critical facet of their offering when delivering to tight schedules.
If a job like this goes wrong, it’s a potential customer lost, but having long been the preferred logistics partner for Nimlok, we understand the necessity for precise planning and execution in this area of the business.
Having won the contract for a major International Convention in Central London to custom design, fabricate and build all 48 exhibitions stands, the supply chain requirement was to deliver all stands within a tight window of time, in specialised vehicles, loaded as per the floor plan, managing a team of 20 builders to complete the installation at specific delivery times. They also needed to complete the same process with the return delivery at the end of the convention.
Our project was to design a tailored transport solution that allowed for all variables, all at a competitive price.
We took the digital stall designs and specifications and applied bespoke vehicle sizes, which included appropriating the loaded vehicles by internal zone layout for smooth transit. We also applied relevant manpower per vehicle for speed and efficiency.
The loading and delivery aspect of the project was seamless and although the return didn’t go as planned – with lack of capacity at unload – our approach allowed us to accommodate the waiting times on behalf of the customer.
Due to the success of the Convention project, which we were proud to be part of, Nimlok UK were recently awarded the conference for a further two years, with an expected growth in stands of 20% year-on-year.
Keys to Success and Further Comments
- Our drivers are key to a logistics project such as this, as they are understanding and patient. Many carriers would not allow sufficient waiting time and would become frustrated at the customer’s customer.
- Plans often change with projects like this, therefore flexibility, patience and hard work are key strengths we adhere to.
- Large penalties are incurred if things are late, and we had a four-hour window to unload and setup all the stands.
- The proximity of us to our client offers complete local business support, with a small, but pro-active operational team that keep open channels of communication at all time.
- The exhibition site is organised into three zones, and vehicles were loaded in order – this solution gave less travel time and the most efficient use of space for unpacking the stands.
- Staggered collections and deliveries were used to ease the bottleneck that can sometimes occur on time critical projects.